Thursday, June 02, 2005

Right Thinking People beat me to it

I was going to post about the band Joy Division, but disaffectedminion at Right Thinking People beat me to it, kind of. It was 25 years ago this past May that Ian Curtis hanged himself, and I found myself listening to Joy Division a lot the past few weeks, primarily the box set Heart and Soul (a 4 CD box set with all their studio recordings, peel sessions, and selected live tracks) and bootlegs I have compiled of the years. The music is as relevant and fresh to me today as it was when I started listening to it over 20 years ago, which is an accomplishment. For band that only was around for a bit more than two years and only two studio albums, they are one of the most influential groups of the last 30 years. Just look at bands like Ultravox, the Cure, Bauhaus, or any of the more gothic inspired bands today - and you'll see the influence of Joy Division.

No comments: