Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Charles & I on Toronto and Detroit

CharLeBois of Hwy 401 Blog quotes me from a posting we made about the future of Toronto. I think that one can see parallels between the future of Toronto and the present of Detroit. There are of course differences, but there are a lot of similarities that people should be aware of.
Based on this, I want to find an authoratative history of Detroit, focusing on how it got to where it is today, political/policy wise - on a conservative point of view. Anybody know? I'm going to take a look around, but suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

No Display Name said...

For a look at Detroit's future, how about Robocop?

Yeah, yeah, I know...you've heard that one before.

As it happens, I'm fairly familiar with Sudbury myself (for reasons unknown to me, the comments section of your next posting doesn't seem to work). I had never seen black rocks before going up there in late 2002/early 2003 for a temporary reporting gig (I was a scab reporter for the Sudbury Star during the big Osprey strike), but the place had some charm, nevertheless, including a couple of decent pubs (and a great cigar bar!).

Still, the place had some pretty rough parts (my hotel was REALLY close to a needle-exchange) and it struck me that while Kingston is a bit smaller, it has LOTS of great places to eat and drink, while Sudbury isn't nearly as tourist-friendly.

www.grumpyyoungcrank.blogspot.com

Andrew said...

Try detroityes.com - it has a wealth of info & pictures, as well as commentary.