Sunday, April 16, 2006

How the hell did I end up in Virginia

Things move quick when you're motivated.

The lesson I have learned rather early in my public accounting agree is that you don't get anything unless you bitch about it or are willing to quit on it. The first week of January was my annual review. First thing one needs to know is what the market is for your services. If they are going to put a number in front of you, you need to know if it is fair.

Needless to say... things did not turn out satisfactory. Had a good review of my work, good positive feedback, but no promotion, and a raise, but not even close to the range that I expected. I brought these matters up, making my argument that a man of more designations than anyone in the firm, who does unique work that nobody at my level does, with high praise by those I performed the work for, would merit something better in light of the market. This needed to be further discussed with the managing partner.
However, since I had my resume posted online, by the next day I had 50+ emails from recruiters and firms all across the country asking me to talk to them. I had calls from firms big and small from LA, Phoenix, Tampa, Dallas, Detroit, Charlotte all talking to me, interviewing me, some wanting to make offers. Then this firm from the Hampton Roads Virginia area calls up - great rapport, wants me immediately, and most importantly was willing to make a very attractive offer. They fly me to their office, spend a weekend with interviews and what not, and have an offer the following Monday.
I posted my resignation in Detroit the following Wednesday - which took them by shock. I explained my reasons and they were cool with that. They countered, but the point I made was that it was too late. It is like coming home to find your wife packed and half way out the door. Saying "I love you" to her at that point won't fix the underlying problem. You had ample opportunities to do right and you did not. Too late.
So a quick move, and here I am. I am really enjoying it down here - great firm, great people, great area to live.

No comments: