- Beer. Beer is cheaper here than Michigan. The best part is no deposits unlike Michigan, thus saving me ten cents/can. You can get the real Danish Carlsburg beer here. In Michigan, you get the stuff brewed in Toronto.
- Liquor. I thought vestiges of the Soviet system did not exist in the U.S. Then I found out that Virginia has state liquor stores (the VABC). Ugh... I thought I escaped the tyranny of the state's monopoly over booze with putting the LCBO behind me. So that is a big minus for VA versus Michigan.
- Smokes (notice the priorities here??). $5/pack versus $3/pack - 'nuff said!
- Speed limits - Michigan has it right... 70 mph on the interstate versus 55/65 around here, but the roads are definitely better to drive on here.
- Gas - cheaper by about a dime a gallon... but if Governor Tim Kane (D) has his way...
Monday, April 17, 2006
Virginia versus Michigan
Observations from living down here three months.